Poisoned by a Pine Nut Tart

1 Mar

Photo Credit: oliveti68

So there I was last week, developing Thanksgiving recipes for a major food magazine — yes, they work that far ahead — and nibbling on some pine nuts that I’d bought to make an open-face apple and pine nut crostata laced with Calvados. The first attempt wasn’t exactly what I wanted but I kept nibbling at the tart until it was gone.

Two days later, after nailing the rest of the Thanksgiving meal — a cider-glazed turkey, a puree of celery root, apples and carrots with sage buttered crumbs, and a stuffing made from rice, leeks, and herbs de Provence — I’d had enough of my own cooking and took a friend to lunch to celebrate. The wine I drank tasted awfully bitter: Metallic and off-putting. Later that night I was invited to dinner at a friend’s house in the neighborhood. It was hard to be polite about the meal because everything I ate tasted like I was sucking on cast iron.

I called my herbalist and my nutritionist, neither of whom had the faintest notion about what might be causing this odd eruption of bitterness in my mouth.

A frantic rummaging around the web unearthed a bewildering number of causes: from pregnancy, to mercury poisoning, to faulty fillings, but the one that began to make sense was pine nuts. Lots of people were blaming pine nuts they’d purchased from Costco and Trader Joe’s but mine came from an upscale Park Slope gourmet food store. Fingers started pointing straight to China — and why not? — if they can poison our toothpaste, why not our pine nuts, too.

The condition is called “dysgeusia” or “metallogeusia” and not everyone is affected. The FDA says it is not an allergy but instead is an adverse reaction to something in the nuts. Its cause is still somewhat of a mystery. Lots of pine nuts have been shipped from China because they’re plentiful and cheaper, but starting about ten years ago one particular variety of white pine nut grown there — pinus armandii — has been infiltrating packages of the good stuff. Pinus armandii is not classified as edible by the Food and Agriculture Organization, and is called “unfit for human consumption” by food safety experts at the European Commission. Strictly speaking, they’re poisonous but don’t cause permanent harm, which is why you still find them on food market shelves. These nuts, if you trouble to look, are much shorter than the more expensive ones from Italy that we once exclusively consumed; they should be avoided.

“Pine nut mouth” usually develops a day or two after eating the nuts and that’s exactly what happened to me! Almost 48 hours after the last bite of my apple and pine nut tart came the ill-tasting wine and then several days of hideous heavy metal tastes in my mouth. Its cause is still the subject of some controversy, but toxicologists are pretty sure about the source. Its effects can linger from a couple of days to a couple of weeks and it is sure to put you off your feed. You can’t “cure” it because it isn’t a disease. Various bloggers report that taking activated charcoal tablets, which cost like the dickens at my health food store, lessens the symptoms (maybe), as does drinking aloe vera juice (perhaps not). I’ve heard that Pepcid works for some people as does sucking on those sour kids candies that I was tempted to buy.

I started to feel like Dr. Jekyll, experimenting with all sorts of foods. Lemon juice lit up the inside of my mouth, roast turkey tasted like fuel oil, and a button mushroom almost sent me to the hospital. I took a Benadryl instead. Strangely, the things I could almost tolerate were triple-strength black coffee (Bustelo) and ice cold tap water which tasted surprisingly good.

One blogging scientist explained that you can’t alter the bitterness in your mouth because the actual reaction is registered in your brain.

I suspect that storing pine nuts too long in my freezer exacerbated this miserable experience. But about a decade ago when the price of pine nuts began to soar, so did the number of complaints about this poisoning. The Sherlock Holmes moment comes when you discover that the offensive Pinus armandii happen to grow only in China. Great pine nuts are harvested in the United States, Europe and Turkey, so if you find a jar in your food market with no country of origin on the label, or if the nuts come from more than one country, you might want to put them back on the shelf.

Four days have passed and I’m almost back to normal. Gratitude never tasted so good.

7 Responses to “Poisoned by a Pine Nut Tart”

  1. stacey snacks March 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

    This is called “pine mouth”, and I learned about 4 years ago when I started posting pine nut recipes………people wrote that sometimes pine nuts from China result in that mettalic taste.
    I have since stopped using them in my recipes and substitute almonds instead.

    Creepy isn’t it?

    Stacey Snacks

  2. susan klein March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

    i had a similar experience making and eating pesto. I love pine nuts but have been afraid to eat them. It was a nasty tasting few weeks.

  3. annakay March 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

    never knew pine nuts could be so damaging!

    glad to see your taste buds are almost back!

    all the best from myself & my family!!

  4. JUDY ACKERHALT March 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm #


    It happened to me twice after using Trader Joe’s pine nuts. I am sure you are correct about source of “poisoning.” Since then, I have used pine nuts from other sources with no ill effects. It’s an awful experience and I was sure I had some dreadful disease when it occurred. Thanks for update.

    Judy Ackerhalt

  5. Judy Roud Lubking March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

    Welcome to the club! I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, also with Trader Joe’s pine nuts. I had the metal taste for more than a week. A lousy way to lose weight. I’ve gotten phobic now and simply use other nuts in place of pine nuts, I don’t even trust when the jars reads “Product of Italy”. Glad yours is improving quickly!

  6. Penny Frazier May 6, 2012 at 11:15 am #

    I was so glad to see that you mentioned American Pine Nuts and country of origin on the label. This is one of the better articles – because you took the time to look into it. In response to the comment – “I don’t even trust ..’product of Italy ‘” it is a shame and certainly speaks to the entire industrial distribution chain. However, P. Pinea – Stone pine, pine nuts are easy to identify. See generally, http://www.pineneut.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: